Our handbook is currently hosted on Ghost using the Casper theme. As part of updating the team handbook project, we’re exploring different templates and tools with a friendlier design and features for knowledge bases.
I’d like to get your thoughts on this topic, and test discuss for this type of discussion
What we’re looking for
- Navigation: sidebar TOC/breadcrumb
- Search functionality
- Custom branding
- Intuitive knowledge base design
- Alignment with our principles and values
- Custom table of content
- Async collaboration
After some research, here’s a shortlist of options
Async collaboration and document versioning
The main difference between Ghost and Docusaurus or Gitbook is that Ghost is a tool for publications vs Docusaurus/Gitbook that are focused on knowledge bases. Therefore the latter is better prepared for async collaboration and document versioning.
This is an important feature as the handbook is a team resource but most people only have view access, limiting the ability to make suggestions and collectively improving it.
Ghost has a membership feature but AFAIK it’s for the paid-subscription model.
Alignment with our principles and values
Ghost > Docusaurus > Gitbook
It might be relevant to note that Ghost is open-source and non-profit, Docusaurus is open-source, and Gitbook is free only for open-source or non-profits.
Thoughts? Comment below, please
My two cents
- Pros: alignment, change of theme vs change of platform
- Cons: it’s challenging to have a customize how content is organized, not collaboration friendly
- Pros: ready for knowledge bases, collaboration friendly
- Cons: Gitbook is shifting away from the OOS ethos, Docusaurus might be overkill to set up and we might want to prioritize basic over pro features