As we are putting a renewed focus on simple and stable OKRs, I wanted to get people’s opinions on what software might work best. Some options for us are:
- Sticking with a google spreadsheet
- Using simple OKR software (see https://simpleokr.com)
- Using a comprehensive software management platform that has OKR stuff in it
- An open source task + productivity tool - incl. OKR’s (http://fluxday.io)
- Use Github
- Roll our own
My rundown of the above:
- Spreadsheet provides no clarity and requires a lot of context. Also, the spreadsheet rarely is updated.
- Simple OKR’s has a cheap Saas model ($50/month fixed) and would be suitable for us. However, it cannot be opened up to the public to view. imo - this is a bit of a deal breaker (unless others feel differently)
- Fluxday is quite complicated, and I think is overkill for what we want to achieve even though it is open source
- Mozilla use Github for their OKR’s (https://github.com/mozilla/webcompat-team-okrs/projects). There is also a simple template that we can use here: https://gist.github.com/DavidWells/a249eda19931917f54bc95d89a673eac, that includes examples for non-tech teams/individuals.
- We could roll our own, but we’d need to know exactly what we want - which I think its too early for us to gauge that at the moment. Maybe after a quarter or two we’ll have a better idea and can start on a custom solution
I’m leaning towards Github. Even though its not ideal, doesn’t have the simplicity of SimpleOKRs, it’s something that the majority of teams already uses. We just need to do a good job to document and track the location of Individual and Team OKR’s,
What are people thoughts? Is there a better solution out there?!?