Living our Principles, Drinking our own Champagne, Saying Goodbye to Slack and Hello to Status

The issues I’m running against on the Windows port are related to realm in ubuntu-server, hopefully bringing ubuntu-server into the app will make this easier to debug/experiment with.

Saying goodbye to Slack has been easier for some than others. A few stragglers expressed reluctance to switch because it means losing years of conversations and knowledge scattered throughout Slack channels and threads.

Well, fear not! @jakubgs has helped us retain this knowledge and has provided a full export of every Slack public channel going back to early 2016. @exiledsurfer called this The Book of Slack. :slight_smile:

https://slack-archive.status.im

Since the archive contains all channels and may contain sensitive personal, legal, or security information we thought it best to protect this with an org-level login. Going forward we hope to do better by using Status with conversations are happening in the open with everyone is encouraged to join. We are also creating Status conversation archives, so if you are interested in contributing please join the automation discussion.

3 Likes

Heads up everyone there is a breaking change in the latest desktop nightly. The good news is this change introduces early support for push notifications, but the bad news is that it renames the data folder so upgrading appears like a fresh install.

Here is how to upgrade:

• Quit Status
  • Go to the data folder. On a Mac this is ~/Library/Application Support/, and on Linux this is ~/.local/share/.
  • Rename the StatusIm folder to Status
  • Download new nightly, install, and open
  • Status should start as normal.

If you have have already upgraded and need to fix:

• Quit Status
  • Go to the data folder. On a Mac this is ~/Library/Application Support/, and on Linux this is ~/.local/share/.
  • Delete the Status directory
  • Rename the StatusIm folder to Status
  • Re-open Status
  • Status should start as normal.

To turn on push notifications go to the Profile tab, and turn on notifications.

Developers will need to install additional “extra-cmake-modules” packages to build the app locally without failure.

2 Likes

I feel like no one is going to read breaking changes here, perhaps we should put this kind of stuff on the nightly page and/or even in app.

1 Like

Yes this just happened to me and I lost all my contacts and conversations, I just upgraded and installed over the nightly like I always do and then just found this thread. :expressionless:

Also on Linux I had to rename the appimage to StatusIm.AppImage, do I now have to rename it to Status.AppImage?

Yes, it should be named Status.AppImage ( but since data location path on Linux is taken from AppImage title, it should work fine with any title - StatusIm, Status or whatever. So you can continue use StatusIm.AppImage, I believe ).
There is one not done extra step to rename StatusIm to Status on desktop Jenkins pipeline left - rename built packages uploaded to server.

It has been just 50 days since this thread started and challenged the team to quit live our values, drink our own champagne, and quit Slack.

Today, Status quit Slack and is using Status for all communications.

quitting

What’s more, Status did this live at Devcon! A Status gremlin even spontaneously materialized to mark the occasion!

quit-slack

In less than two months time the whole organization has rallied and united with most of the organization using Status daily, and incredibly most of Core contributing to desktop PR’s and pushing desktop and Status ahead in leaps and bounds. This feat is even more incredible if you consider that desktop nightlies didn’t even exist three months ago. This team has moved mountains!

Thank you to everyone that endured the bugs, lost messages, and the sometimes painful upgrades to make this dream come true.

So what’s next? The desktop team is working on some remaining issues including windows builds, improved reliability, and better network/connection state notifications, and more. When these are done an alpha version will be released that has gone through thorough security and compatibility testing, and will be followed with a regular release cadence. In terms of features, the team will bring wallet and dapps to the desktop and will work towards a beta release that has parity with the mobile app. Come join us for the ride. :slight_smile: :champagne:

14 Likes

This is incredible! So proud! :clap:

1 Like

I haven’t been able to use the nightly on MacOS for the last week, any clue / help there? When I wipe and uninstall the entire directory then try to re-install the application never boots up after moving to the applications folder. @Chad know of any tips & tricks?

@Hutch have you tried rebooting ? :slight_smile: (or make sure that ubuntu-server is not running, probably a reboot would do, but not sure on mac). It might be that the app crashed at some point and that service is still running

That worked! haha :grin: Cammellos saves the (past life) IT guy on a last minute. “Have you tried pushing the power button”

The Ubuntu server wasn’t prompting (guess it was running in a background service). Thanks @cammellos

1 Like

Just for anyone else reading this here. There’s an issue on GitHub with that report + the “solution”

Also for anyone else, the fix and other goodies are mentioned in the FAQ. Check it out!

Should we put the FAQ on the website @Chad?

It is already on the website on the nightlies page and linked in this thread. We could put it everywhere but will probably still have the same problem :frowning:

I will take some time today to see if it’s possible to automate the killing of ubuntu-server when we start the app before spawning a new ubuntu-server.

Is that problem me @Chad :joy: it looks like there are some faqs but not the same faqs will make a PR…the linked FAQs on the website didn’t have the bit about the Ubuntu server hang thing.

https://status.im/build_status/desktop.html

OK, raised a PR that will make manually killing ubuntu-server a thing of the past: https://github.com/status-im/status-react/pull/6761

3 Likes

The desktop hits have kept on coming! Since the last update we’ve had features such as windows nightlies(!!!), message notifications, new icons, performance improvements, scroll bars, unread dock notifications, private group chats, device syncing, a bunch of bug fixes and so much more.

Many teams have come together to contribute and have committed to shipping the first stable alpha release by December 14. :tada: To see what remains and track progress then head over to this GitHub issue to follow along.

After the first stable release we hope to settle into a regular cadence that is compatible with our mobile releases and then work towards mobile parity.

7 Likes