I’d like to remove our dependance up on Rinkeby and Rompsten test networks, and move all testing to the Goerli testnet.
- syncing these clients is a nightmare. They require constant maintanence from an infrastructure point of view and has two effects: takes time away from whoever is currently on-call in infrastructure monitoring to constantly check bogus alerts and node upkeep, and “crying wolf” with the same people when something actually happens because they assume it is a noisy testnet client.
- They also cost quite a bit to maintain all these clients. A move to only Goerli would save Status ~$410 USD/month. You can check out the breakdown of clients in this breakdown
What I’d like to know:
- What work would need to be done in order to make this happen? What do we use these testnets for, and what work would be required to switch to a better performing test network.
- Do we need to support these in app?
- Is anyone opposed to this and why?
For those that don’t know, we already have the network up and running with a faucet that has a ton of funds in it. It follows the same methodology of the other test networks, but doesn’t require much of anything to host.