last week I ran into this article on Asynchronous Communication by Doist, the company that created Todoist and Twist.
This article discusses how remote workers are more productive than non-remote workers, but that the key lies in proper asynchronous communication.
The key take aways are:
Use synchronous communication if…
- you want to build rapport with people (1-on-1 or team meetings)
- you need to provide critical feedback or discuss sensitive topics
- you have lots of unknowns and need/want to brainstorm ideas
- you have lots of moving variables and need to bring everyone on the same page (e.g. kick-off meeting)
- a crises is happening that needs immediate communication
Synchronous communication should be the exception, not the rule.
It’s important to notice that using instant messaging is also a way of communicating synchronously. Anyways, I’m not suggesting we shouldn’t use instant messengers on a daily basis anymore, but truth be told, they are massive productivity stoppers as they keep interrupting us regularly.
Also love how their app Twist focuses on thread-based discussions.
Curious to hear what everyone thinks.