User growth and retention

I agree with absolutely everything @Jinho . I’m just a user who was enchanted with Status and saw potential in the app. I even gave my opinion as a user and also opened a request about the possibility of creating a name and profile picture without involving the registration at ENS.

I’ve been trying to contribute to Status with what I can: ideas to make Status attractive in features.

Status offer a very high level of security and privacy. No other messenger today can do the same. What I would hate to see is a setback in these aspects. I am particularly resistant to giving up the security and privacy offered to make Status more convenient, but I think there may be a way to reconcile convenience and security / privacy to attract users.

There are quite solid and well-known options out there, from WhatsApp, Telegram to Signal, but again I say, none as secure and private as Status and this is a big difference right from the start. One of the points that I believe is essential for Status to grow in numbers of users is precisely to invest in the development of unique and useful features.

When I bring a friend to use Status with me, I always get the question: How do I send a video? How do I attach a PDF to send you? I can send an audio message? And make a video call?

These features today, so common in messengers, are absent from the Status for obvious reasons that I understand. Some of them are already being worked on and will soon be available to users, but I would just like to record this situation.

The developers and contributors of Status are incredible and have been dedicated a lot to this project and I believe in the ability to become a reference in this segment of private messages and cryptocurrencies.

That is just my humble opinion, I hope that no one is offended. :grin:

10 Likes

Thank you for clearly stating “without this we are basically flying blind”, @oskarth. We all have opinions, all of which are welcome, but only data confirms theories. I’d love to see more data, especially metrics on regional app marketplace installs overlaid with marketing spend as applicable (visibility in to what marketing efforts attract new users, even if users don’t complete onboarding and/or return) and direct downloads. On that note, precisely determining onboarding friction is crucial to retention.

Status is user-friendly to us, but most people reading this thread aren’t average messaging app users. I love precise technical terms such as ENS, Waku, and DApps… but they primarily benefit users with specific knowledge, and can be obfuscated away through design. Argent and other apps are elegantly simple, yet don’t give up precision. Sadly, most users have no interest in learning about what powers their app… they just want to create an account, and trust the app to be secure and helpful. Less is more.

I also noticed gaps in the advertised Status metrics, and this makes me suspicious about conclusions being drawn. As an obvious example, https://analytics.status.im/sticker-market/ appears to be missing a significant amount of data (there is none in some parts) on at least half of the sticker packs. As privacy is a core Status principle, core contributors are forced to do more with less… and it’s going to take nearly all of the information available to them to determine stickiness.

On an unrelated note, I want to thank all current and past Status core contributors for achieving the monumentally difficult task of building an incredibly useful and robust privacy-first product while never compromising on principles. More and more is asked of all of Status core contributors as adoption ramps up… despite that the product is free and open source, and that no data is collected and sold. Your efforts towards saving us from ourselves are sincerely appreciated, even if it isn’t often stated.

9 Likes

Adding some more data for consideration. Using the dump of peers overtime we started constructing a cohort analysis to start understanding retention. Full notebook here: https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1Osl3EXbKR2_iwAhOHmAiCum9F6IquRX2?authuser=1#scrollTo=KW9qY7lwELYx

weekly_cohorts

The first thing we notice is a big drop off after the first week, however there are some interesting cohorts such as peers that appeared the week of 02-16 and 02-23 had long retention histories than the other cohorts.

Lets look at the distribution of peers based on number of days they were seen.

The number of peers seen only one day is so much larger than the rest that we should cut this group out for the purpose of being able to see the rest of the distribution.

all_peers

ex_1day

ex_5day

ex_20days

As we go from cutting off 1, 5 and then 20 days from the graph we can see more of the distribution as a result of a less steep drop off rate. One can infer from this that the long a peer has been on the network the longer they will continue to be on the network. Put another way if a peer has been on the network 1 day there is a ~2.5% probability they will be on the network in 20 days, but if they have been on the network 20 days there is ~25% probability they will be on the network another 20 days, a 10x difference.

A possible growth experiment could be to get new users to use Status for a month and see what the retention rate is in that cohort.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone so far for all your thoughtful comments, ideas and contributions! There are a lot of good ideas here for sure, and it is great to see so many people outside of Core having ideas for how to make our main product work better and retain more users. Special kudos to Barry for getting us sweet actionable retention rate graphs!

Weekly update

As of July 1, per post by Jakub earlier, we no longer count end to end tests in metrics. However, this didn’t have as a big an impact as one might suspect.

Unfortunately the dashboard at Grafana seems to be down. However, we can still the latest in Kibana.

DAU: Sunday to Sunday - 2658 on Jul 5, 2985 on Jun 28. This is -11% negative growth. Since this is on Sunday, the e2e test impact is negligible.

Retention rate: No new data here, see post by Barry above for latest here. However, since no releases or specific targeted marketing has occured in the last week (to my knowledge), there’s little reason to believe things would’ve changed here.

Android install numbers

A good of checking accuracy of metrics is to cross-check it with different sources. Here are the Android installs per week. These are exported from Play Store and you can see them in the Status Growth Metrics spreadsheet.

How to action on retention

This question was brought up earlier here. We obviously won’t be able to get accurate segmentation or anything of the sorts. But we can make do.

What the retention rates in Barry’s post above allow us to do is to have hypotheses about cohorts and campaigns. For example: this feature will increase D2-D30 retention. Then we can check the cohort for when that version is released.

We can also use it to test campaigns. Say there’s a big spike in installs a specific week. Then we can check how users from this cohort are retained. If they retain worse than previous cohorts, perhaps they aren’t our target audience.

In the future, we should be able to distinguish Android, iOS and desktop peers here. Though I’d leave that kind of sophistication as out of scope for now and more of a bonus until we get basics in place.

A good marketing/onboarding campaign here would be: how can we get N users to use Status for a week or a month? In the Saas world, this is a very common strategy for onboarding and increasing retention.

What’s good?

Since last week, a lot of things have improved when it comes to the state of metrics.

1. We have clear DAU and retention metrics that tell us where we succeed and fail.
  2. We have a dashboard that clearly shows DAU and stickiness for everyone.
  3. We have increased confidence in our metrics by removing end to end testing from metrics collection.
  4. We have a very clear understanding of how bad the situation is right now.
  5. We have retention rate graphs that can be used for experiments and analysis on a time scale of ~days.

Outside of metrics and visibility, we have also seen a lot of good ideas on how to improve our growth and retention in this thread. And, of course, we have seen a lot of product development happening that we believe will result in better retention, e.g. images, push notifications, and other initiatives.

What still needs improvement?

I’ll divide this into two parts, one is general and the other is specific.

General:

1. The hard part: growth and retention is still terrible. This week went backwards.
  2. Mindset: I am not convinced we are doing our best here. See section below.
  3. Theory of retention: I still don’t see it, and I’m not convinced by our reasoning here. This needs clear thinking where we know exactly who our users are and why they keep using Status, or not.

Specifics:

1. Methodology, mentioned in OP, still needs work. This needs to be crystal clear and requires Core involvement to be correct. See https://notes.status.im/metrics-method?both# for a start. Marketing is an example user here.
  2. Retention rate dashboard and/or script. With Barry’s notebook we have actionable retention metrics. It’d be useful if we could script this, so a CSV export is run and we can update these graphs on a daily basis.
  3. Solve mystery 1. In mid-April we had a spike of installs through a performance marketing campaign. Question: Why does this not translate into a spike in DAU?
  4. Solve mystery 2. We see DAU of around ~3k, but installs per week recently is around ~100. Question: How does that add up?
  5. Different types of metrics. It’d be useful to see other, wallet/dapp-browser-oriented metrics reported in this thread.

Mindset

A word of warning - this section might be controversial and you might not agree with it. I have been having this conversation with a few people privately over the last week, and I think it is important to say publicly for everyone.

For us to do this, we need to have the right mindset. This means keeping growth and retention front and center every day. And I’m largely talking about Core here, as that’s the product team with the biggest impact.

It is also important that there’s a feeling of a sense of agency from the product team in this. Growth isn’t some magic sauce that another team solves. What (performance) marketing does is adding fuel to the fire. But there has to be a fire to begin with.

If we don’t currently feel this sense of agency or control, then that’s a bug to fix.

I heard in the Core retro last week that we shouldn’t let ourselves get distracted by metrics. I said it then but I’ll say it again - we should let the metrics guide us, and constantly ask ourselves if what we are making will improve retention or not. We have the data now, so there are no excuses not to do this.

I also heard that we shouldn’t let discussions take away from building. That seems dangerous to me. We are still a startup, and we don’t know exactly what the right path forward is. We need to be open and flexible. The more reflection we can do here, as shown in this thread, the better. To me this is where something like a theory of retention comes in, because it allows us to think more deeply than just “let’s get to feature parity with every other messenger out there”. This is a slight strawman position, but as if that’s the reason people would switch to Status. It doesn’t personally resonate with me as a user anyway.

There are a lot of smart and thoughtful individuals in this organization, and it’d be a shame not to capitalize on that. Six hours to chop down a tree and spend first four sharpening the ax kind of thing.

Obviously this should be complemented by ruthless execution once we are confident in our choices. But it shouldn’t stop us from breathing and making sure we are on the right path. Judged on a weekly growth basis, we are not, and haven’t been for the last three months.

It might seem like we have to do a lot of things at the same time. I don’t think that’s the case. As a core product, we mostly have to do one thing: improve retention. Usually only very few actions have a big impact. And that starts by taking a deep breath and emptying the cup in your mind. Take a long walk and a big breath.

Over to you!

9 Likes

Thank you for the install numbers. :slight_smile: No one has ever done what Status is doing, thus no one can predict how the product will be used once it’s ready for the masses. New users can (almost) always be acquired through paid advertising, but retention requires a killer feature set. Push notifications may feel like a silver bullet, but a solid use case for Status is also critical… and that means clear messaging on how its components stack up against other apps, and how its core features are better together.

If the Status app is marketed as a secure messaging app, users of other popular secure messenger apps will expect Status to have features comparable to the other apps they used. If the Status app is marketed as a decentralized app gateway, the Ethereum wallet should function with the most popular decentralized apps. If this functionality isn’t present, only the users who fully comprehend its potential will likely keep using it daily. Most others will make an account, and may revisit with each new release.

Marketing is obviously waiting for additional features to go live before acquiring users. The roadmap indicates a solid plan to build a robust messaging app. Core contributors build useful features quickly, and are respected for both the transparency and quality of their collective works. Stay the course towards a feature complete app, refine the messaging, continue to never compromise on principles, and measure (always!) all you can to fail fast if users don’t love something that’s built. Data will light the way.

6 Likes

This was me, so let me respond and clarify. To preface my response though: Thank you @oskarth, for bringing structure to the data we have available and starting the conversation about what we’re building. It is much needed. As a UX researcher I would love to do more research to understand drivers of DAU. My response below is to the sum of where we are now, the insights we do have and what I believe are our strengths and weaknesses in product development.

My key point on the Core retro was not to ‘not let ourselves to get distracted by metrics’. My point is that we have 2 months, a solid roadmap to work from and very little data to go on. Let’s focus on delivering, which historically is an area we have a lot to improve. It’s not about a mindset of staying away from metrics. It’s about having a mindset of delivering and learning. Decreasing time to delivery, scoping MVP’s is critical here so we can learn fast and pivot if needed. Building gives us data.

I 100% agree we shouldn’t be building blindly. I don’t believe we are, in
spite of the little data we have to go on. We do have valid data from the past where we polled among a decent number of people in surveys and qualitative studies (including Status and non-Status users) and we have feature requests. Reading the input above, only strengthens earlier findings and increases my confidence in earlier data.

Insights from past studies

2018 report on a study in UK and Iran:

• Network effect is identified as key driver (page 34)
    epics: referral program, group chat invites
  • Main reason for using a messenger ‘Being able to stay in touch with friends
    and family’ (63%) (page 31)
    epics: referral program, group chat invites, notifications
  • Details on Network effect (page 35)

Survey respondents who love their current messaging app cite
the ease with which they could connect with family and friends.
For this reason, Status would need to have features that enables
it to onboard new users quickly based on their existing networks.

epics: referral program, group chat invite links, invite from contact management

• Expectations of basic functionality ‘Easy means to share and interact with photographs
    and videos, Emojis & stickers’ (page 38)
    epics (images, emoji reactions, audio messages)
  • Perception of Status includes main concern ‘Not socially acceptable’ (page 41, 61)
    epics: referral program, group chat invite links, invite from contact management

Study in South-Korea

• Focused more on crypto investment use cases (SNT holding) driven by socio-economic climate and investment regulations.
  • Identified “Privacy Ambassadors” as early adopters. Private, secure messaging for business purposes driving Status use.

Study among community members,

• We found ‘texting friends’ to be one of the highest Performing features in a KANO analysis. Over public channels/groups, user stories/updates

There is much more anecdotal data here that all point to supporting basic ‘friends and family’ functionality and onboarding. This is what the roadmap is geared to.

8 Likes

Many excellent points have been made here. So I’d like to only share the following (hopefully) inspirational quotes:

When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind.” - Lord Kelvin

Not everything that can be counted counts. Not everything that counts can be counted.” - Albert Einstein or William Bruce Cameron

None. It’s not the consumers’ job to know what they want.” - Steve Jobs (when asked what market research went into the iPad)

6 Likes

Jumping back in here after a few conversations on the topic this week.

How can marketing help drive retention? We need to be marketing to the right people first and foremost. With such a wide product offering, it not only makes the product positioning tricky (and in some instances diluted), but makes it difficult to identify the right tactics, channels, and end deliverables.

At this point there is so much inertia behind product development, that it almost as though we need to find the market that the product fits, instead of building a product that our market wants. Fortunately, we have two very clear markets in mind. The problem is, I suspect they want quite different things (and at times, they have conflicting interests)

Crypto Community: This is our audience first and foremost. They invested in the token sale. They have been following development longer than any group. The product is designed for them and early product positioning even stated “Ethereum OS” or “Window onto Ethereum”. Based on some conversation with community members, messaging is simply one element of our product offering - and often times, not even the most important (as there are other options). Access to crypto and a smooth mobile experience with dapps are equally if not more important. DeFi and the growth of those protocols speak for themselves. This then means we need to ensure dap.ps works well, and we offer the same accessibility to dapps as other ethereum mobile dapp browser/wallets. Privacy is clearly a desire for this group, but it has been mentioned many times, that the very nature of ethereum is public (and in stark contrast with one of our core value props)

Privacy Enthusiasts: We have built a product based on a set of principles - privacy and security being two paramount ones. Private communication is s clear desire of this market group and the messenger we are building fits the needs. However, in conversation with community, crypto/ethereum/blockchain, often gets in the way of this and is deemed-non-essential and sometimes and token is a major turnoff. Take the recent explosive growth of Signal with a team of cryptographers dedicated to solving this issue, and only this issue.

Some could say we have an identity crisis. Is Status a “window onto ethereum” or is it a tool for ultra private messaging? Or are we truly both? I would genuinely like to know others opinions on this and hopefully we can align as it will help the marketing team out.

From a marketing perspective - we need to test and be brutally honest with our findings. As mentioned above we have a few campaigns in the works:

LatAm G2M - primarily targeted at crypto users. Leading with wallet/browser functionality and messaging.

How can we measure the effectiveness of this campaign in terms of DAU given our primary goal is not messages sent but rather use of wallet and dapps?

Brand - This initiative needs to be split into two cohorts for effective measuring:

• Crypto / Ethereum: in which we push the wallet and browser and raise awareness of all the other tools and products you can use inside of Status (other dapps)
  • Privacy / Messenger - push the messenger as a means of privacy

It is still unclear to me how we measure the success of one campaign over the other without in app analytics. Seems as though we will not be able to run simultaneous campaigns. We could push people into separate public channels and manually observe which ones are more active?

Next Steps:

• Alignment between product and marketing as to what our goals are and who we are building for and marketing too @hester @JohnLea @andre
  • Come up with clear measurement plans for each campaign mentioned above. Timebox each campaign
  • Review data and base evaluate marketing efforts / audiences
9 Likes

Alignment between product and marketing as to what our goals are and who we are building for and marketing too

In short, (this won’t be new to you @jonathan ) my thinking is to target existing crypto and privacy oriented communities and proactively offer to facilitate their transition. Even if they choose to not transition to Status, the feedback will be valuable. We’d be validating product fit with them. Initial thoughts on communities to reach out and structure to the approach by @JohnLea and myself here.

I see this as a parallel grassroots approach to complement planned efforts through campaigns. Members of existing communities can thereafter act as change agents for wider friends and family adoption focused more on private messaging and relying on the referrals program.

Organization channels seem a promising feature to add upon reaching base level feature parity to help onboard communities. This would be good to validate when reaching out to communities.

4 Likes

I guess my point is that when you really get into the details on this, these two communities want different things.

Take for example the crypto art community. They want access to dapps like superrare, rarible, open sea, easy ability to purchase and bid on NFTs, and then be able to showcase and display those NFTs in a wallet. Or the defi community - they want seamless experience with defi dapps and protocols to earn on their holdings. The messenger comes second.

This is what we need to sort out. I feel like maybe there is a misalignment on what crypto and privacy communities are/want. Or perhaps we market a messenger to the crypto community?

1 Like

How can marketing help drive retention? We need to be marketing to the right
people first and foremost. With such a wide product offering, it not only makes
the product positioning tricky (and in some instances diluted), but makes it
difficult to identify the right tactics, channels, and end deliverables.

Thank you for asking the right questions @jonathan!

Some could say we have an identity crisis. Is Status a “window onto ethereum”
or is it a tool for ultra private messaging? Or are we truly both? I would
genuinely like to know others opinions on this and hopefully we can align as it
will help the marketing team out.

Back to the future

I’ll answer this question by going back into the future. Specifically, by looking at this answer from a Slack AMA with Status 3 years ago, before the ICO:

Question:

How do you get status to the billion Users out there
What will be ur arguments
Most people dont know cryptos. even dont care for security or privacy (facebook)

Answer:

Ultimately we’re building Status for the general public, but there’ll be
a number of market segments that we’ll focus on first as we work towards this
goal (not to mention Ethereum’s network needs to be ready for this first).

The logical progression from the Ethereum community would be to the greater
crypto space, followed by privacy conscious groups and libertarian groups. While
this is far from ‘mass adoption’, the success of apps like Signal and Telegram
(each with tens of millions of users, and whose core marketing messaging is
privacy) serves as a testament to how deeply this resonates with a small, but
growing percentage of the population in many markets.

Beyond this, we can begin creating custom marketing campaigns and custom
on-boarding sequences into Status for specific DApps we believe we can get users
for (DApps are really the core value-proposition). It’s worth noting here from a
user acquisition perspective there are only a few key metrics - retention rates
are the big one early on, and realtime bidding platforms (DSPs) make this very
much a data driven approach. In our experience once you find some pockets of
high converting users you can scale very quickly.

Looking further ahead I’d love to see Status bringing access to financial tools
and services to emerging markets, but these are complex problems and often
mobile data costs are a hurdle to adoption. I suspect this would require working
more closely with communities and mobile carriers, which also we’re prepared to
do.

In the years since then, I haven’t seen a good reason for us to deviate from
that basic plan. We need to convince the immediate Ethereum community community
first and foremost. After that we can branch out.

I have heard a lot of talks about moms using Status, and I wonder if this is something that is lost in translation (“so easy so my mom can use it”?). It seems like a weird target audience to me.

This is also why I wrote the following user litmus test two years ago:

[What would it take for] 50-80% of folks at Devcon4 [to] use Status daily?
Building from first principles and some litmus tests

That we aren’t focusing on this is worrying to me. I’m sure more research and thinking has been done since then, but nothing that has convinced me more than the original vision.

Effectiveness of campaigns

How can we measure the effectiveness of this campaign in terms of DAU given
our primary goal is not messages sent but rather use of wallet and dapps?

First, re DAU. DAU measures any user, not just people using chat. There is one caveat for this: they have to either be on WiFi OR have enabled sync in the chat.

There might be other data here that we can use, but nothing that has been explicitly made visible in this thread. E.g. D.apps data. I defer to @andre and @hester for this, and I encourage people to post that kind of data to this thread.

There is a WIP methodology doc here https://notes.status.im/metrics-method that @andre and rest of Core is helping fill out. (Thanks @cammellos for checking some basic assumptions).

Please shout out if there are more questions on this.

Measuring multiple campaigns and retention

Second, re multiple campaigns and retention. The way I would do this is the following. Have a campaign start a day and run over a few days. Then a week later start another campaign and do the same thing. Outside of install stats, this will then result in different retention rates for the various cohorts. This way we can judge the effectiveness w.r.t. retention after a week lag time. That might be sufficient, especially if we can do binary search / AB testing over the possible campaign space.

A specific campaign I’d love to see that Barry suggested is a challenge to use Status for a week straight, or a month straight.

2 Likes

My key point on the Core retro was not to ‘not let ourselves to get distracted
by metrics’. My point is that we have 2 months, a solid roadmap to work from
and very little data to go on. Let’s focus on delivering, which historically is
an area we have a lot to improve. It’s not about a mindset of staying away from
metrics. It’s about having a mindset of delivering and learning. Decreasing
time to delivery, scoping MVP’s is critical here so we can learn fast and pivot
if needed. Building gives us data.

I 100% agree we shouldn’t be building blindly. I don’t believe we are, in spite
of the little data we have to go on. We do have valid data from the past where
we polled among a decent number of people in surveys and qualitative studies
(including Status and non-Status users) and we have feature requests. Reading
the input above, only strengthens earlier findings and increases my confidence
in earlier data.

Based on these surveys etc, what is the expected change in [D2/D30/DX] retention
rate for [specific target group] once we have implemented [set of features from our roadmap]? Can we make this clear and testable, so we know if we are right
or not in terms of what drives retention? Let’s be precise here.

Additionally, you say “mindset of delivering and learning”. I agree. How many learning opportunities would this give us? From what I can tell, it sounds like we’ll only know after we have implemented a big part of our roadmap. Would that give us enough time to do any learning, or would we have run out of money at that point?

There is a reason startups like to measure on a week to week basis. And that’s with having an absolute minimum of six months in the bank.

I think I’ve mentioned it before, but as n=1 sample size, none or very few of these features personally have an impact on my retention. What matters for me (empirically) is (1) community (i.e. Status moving to Status) (2) desktop/sync support. I realize everyone is different and for some people, say, audio messages or SNT reactions might be what matters for retention, but I’ve also heard n=2 in private conversations. This significantly decreases my subjective probability that we have a clue about really what drives retention.

PS Here’s an interesting (but long) article on what makes social networks successful, looking specifically at building social capital (but also mentioning utility and entertainment). It may or may not be relevant to Status, but some readers might find it interesting. DS

Monday again, which means it is time for a weekly metrics update! Not much new here. Most of what was said here User growth and retention still applies.

Two specific thing that have improved in last week:

1. @jakubgs setting up automated retention graphs here https://retention.status.im/
  2. @cammellos confirming the two following things (see https://notes.status.im/metrics-method#):
  • peer id confirmed is the same across restarts
  • same across multiple IPs

I’ve also heard @andre is working on some cool stuff, but I’ll let him post that.

DAU

Up 12%, however hard to know if this is significant as it puts us back at two weeks ago baseline. If we keep it up for next week that’d be a good sign.

Retention

Unchanged (seems to be lagging a week, and only weekly for now). No reason to believe this would have changed.

4 Likes

leak? let’s add another sentence to make discuss happy.

:wave: friends!

TL;DR: Real-time cohorts dashboard lives here, and the referrals dashboard lives here

As you probably know, I’ve had my head deep in SQL queries, dashboards and cohorts. @jakubgs, @hester and I have been getting a reporting tool up and running that lets us see, as close to real time as humanly possible.

In doing so, we’ll be 100% transparent with regards to user retention, but also figures on the referral program that we’re about to launch, as I feel it’s important for everyone to see how their work shapes those numbers.

For now, the Cohorts dashboard lives here. It shows you weekly cohorts from beginning of the year (you’ll see it start in December 2019 as the first week of January didn’t start in 2020), and you can pick a date interval to see daily cohorts for.

I’m working on bringing in the referrals dashboard from a hosted instance, and that should get finished tomorrow. I’ll update this post to contain that link too.

In the meantime, I’d like it if folks thought a bit about improving these numbers. One angle that I think we can approach is to try and inspire people on cool ways they can use Status. There’s nothing more frustrating than having the tool that, for instance, Amazon whistleblowers need to reach out to some prominent engineers who are their voices, but don’t know exists. I also want to pair with @petty to write about how Facebook SDK caused an outage on over 20% of the App store, and what kind of data they collect and send about you when their SDK phones home.

Edit: I copied over the referrals dashboard too, which is now available here. This still points to our test environment, but will be changed into the production environment as soon as we have that in place.

6 Likes

Happy Monday! Largely same as last week (and week before that) applies, so I’ll just do quick numbers update and diff.

Numbers

DAU

Retention

As you can see from the above graphs we regressed again, which points to this movement just being noise. It also means we haven’t really achieved our goal of growing on a week to week basis.

Other news

1. Andre and co put up some nice real time stats board for retention, referrals etc - see post above.
  2. Andre and co are planning a fresh look at the roadmap and prioritization with retention and low hanging fruit front and centre. This will involve everyone who wants to participate to suggest and rank features based on (a) retention (b) effort axis. Details to come soon. (Retention, Focus, and Roadmaps)

2 looks like the the very beginning of mindset shift mentioned in earlier post, so kudos to @andre for getting that ball rolling!

4 Likes

In some recent discussions amongst marketing teams, we are struggling to define clear measurement plans for our campaigns and their effectiveness on acquisition and ultimately retention.

In short, the further down the marketing funnel one goes, from social media >> ultimately into Status, the less visibility we have into the journey. This is obviously by design to respect and protect data and privacy while living up to our principles.

What does this mean?

Well, unless we pause ALL marketing activity outside of one super specific initiative or campaign, we will not know with 100% accuracy which efforts are driving retention – and this is something we must simply live with and learn to deal with.

For example, there will always be organic comms across social, community channels, etc encouraging and educating people to try Status. There will be consistent evergreen CPA based campaigns across network, search, display, etc. There will always be word of mouth and the “network effect” that is outside of our control. All of these will hopefully lead to new, retained users.

So with that, we have taken a different approach to timebox specific initiatives and closely monitor and watch the impact on retention over a set period of time. Time based retention (based on weekly cohorts) instead of campaign based retention (based on tracking ID’s).

There is an upcoming timeboxed period of 3 week (July 27 - Aug 16) with the inclusion of:

• 1.5 release and comms
  • Brand initiative with hyper targeted content and promoted posts
  • Ambassador push
  • PR+ Launch in LatAm

This is already a lot but with information provided by channels such as twitter and playstore, we can have an idea as to what is most effective in driving installs. Once in app…it’s more or less a black box. So once again, have to look at time/date

Here is a measurement plan for the upcoming 3 weeks. With this, we should be able to see trends in impressions, referral sources, engagements on specific items, and thier impact on installs AND retention of weekly cohorts. It is crude for now. We will revise and improve after this initial campaign.

6 Likes

Update: These updates have been going on for about a month now, and by now I think we are getting the gist of it. We are also starting to see signs of a change in mindset and focus, which is great to see. The challenge now is to keep up with it - regularly post visible updates to keep on top of it in terms of mindshare and work hard towards improving the bottom line on a weekly basis.

I’m going to take next week away from Status to focus on hacking Vac/Waku stuff, and after that I’m off on vacation. This means someone will have to take over posting updates, and I’m hoping someone like @andre (or @hester) will be able to pick up the torch, perhaps even with more intensity - paint the target red daily (chapter 5 of Swarmwise, https://falkvinge.net/files/2013/04/Swarmwise-2013-by-Rick-Falkvinge-v1.1-2013Sep01.pdf).

For people who haven’t seen it, there’s also another thread on Core retention, focus and a workshop on Monday focused on low effort wins for retention, do check it out: Retention, Focus, and Roadmaps

5 Likes

Hi, everyone. I appreciate this discussion and the challenges and opportunities outlined here. I have one proposal to throw into the ring that I do not see addressed in this forum yet that broadens your base of potential users, provides more reasons for people to install/onboard and possibly harmonizes the tension between crypto enthusiasts and privacy enthusiasts.

Become a Single Sign-On (SSO) provider using the new DID SIOP standard to enable Status to serve as safe and simple way to log into all of the websites I visit and never have to remember another password ever.

The technical jargon for this is making Status a “Self Issued OpenId Connect Provider (SIOP) for Decentralized Identities (DIDs).”

In other words, Status could become the preeminent decentralized, privacy protecting alternative to Google or Facebook sign on/log in. It could also replace password managers.

I have searched high and low and I have not found any existing DID SIOP providers integrated with crypto wallets yet. I offer this to you because you are fully open source and because I support your values and goals. This is an emerging space and one Status is well poised to capture and lead. This would drive various positive user growth and retention effects:

• Improve visibility of Status by partnering with various existing websites and services that are frequented by crypto, privacy, open source and self-hosted enthusiasts. Why shouldn’t I be able to log into Discuss, Element/Matrix, NextCloud, WordPress, GitLab, Mastodon, Lemmy, etc. using Status? And these are just the obvious low hanging fruit. I already had to create two different Discuss logins just to participate in Status convos! :wink:
  • Keep Status launched, active and top of mind: Using Status possibly several times a day to log into different websites would achieve these benefits.
  • A chance to allow crypto to make people’s lives easier rather than more complex: I would love never to have to remember or store another password and Status could make that possible.

Some implementation opportunities to build momentum:

• Create easy log in buttons and other components and publish and promote them with developers
  • Integrate this with with Embark to provider additional value add
  • Develop and market Status as an alternative to password managers
  • Create browser plugins that make it easy for Status to be used as log in on any site, even those that don’t natively support it
  • Offer Status as an alternative to serve as a two-factor secondary proof of identity instead of one time pads, cell phone numbers, etc for sites that are not willing to replace their primary log in method yet. You could create a developer package to help encourage this.

Here are some other references in addition to the official standard I linked above:

BTW, thanks for all your work on Status! I am very aligned with your goals and looking forward to getting more plugged in over time. And to using Status to log into all of my accounts. :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for starting the conversation on this @bmiller59 DID’s definitely deserve more attention

3 Likes